Friday, June 26, 2009

Kyle

So my cousin tells me it’s time for a new blog…so here goes.

Left Out. An oddity, of sorts, that I have. I have a real difficult time with feeling as if someone has been “left out”. When I was younger and would leave notes for my parents, I would first write “Dad and Mom” and then underneath I would write “Mom and Dad”. See, I didn’t want them to think I liked one more than the other, even more so, I didn’t want one of them to feel left out. Actually, Annie K, I distinctly recall having quite a complex with my 8th grade letter to my parents as I had to address one of them first. I am fairly sure I settled on putting it one way on the envelope and another way on the actual letter (perhaps we should verify that, Mom and Dad, do you still have the letter?).

With that said, you may have noticed my last blog focused primarily on Jack and all the while I wrote I had a whole gambit of issues going on in my head as Kyle was not included in the writing. I concluded that my next blog would be focused on Kyle. Now I must say that this introduction is the fine print as the real blog is to be focused on Kyle (and I could go on, but this may be considered a bit obsessive).


Kyle is 11 years old and heading into 5th grade next year. FIFTH GRADE! He’s not a little boy any more, definitely not the 7 year old who visited us for two weeks one hot summer and even still not the 8 year old boy we welcomed home to live with us a year later. His smile is the same, his desire for hugs are the same, his love for the dogs, the outdoors and x-box are the same, but he’s growing, he’s growing into our son. Not the cute son you get at two, four and six, but the in between son. The son one can almost call a fine young man, yet one wouldn't want to give him the freedom that seemingly comes with such a title.

He stays up a little later at night, he comprehends more jokes, he has more freedom, he has more responsibilities, he’s growing, learning and molding. One can see where we missed out on his early years. Spend enough time with him and one may see how his early years shaped his personality, shaped his actions and reactions. He’s a sweet kid, who likes to be right. (Quite possibly, one might not see a difference based on that!) Such a complex situation in such a simple family. Therefore we attempt to make it simple. We tell him the way it should be, we model and we praise him for the spectacular things he does the amazing feats he has accomplished and we encourage him all along the way.

A typical summer day might include waking up at 9:30 to Jack and Gregg playing downstairs. Kyle will fix himself breakfast, usually cereal, yogurt and a banana (depends on what Mom has stocked I suppose). Afterwards between play and cleaning up after breakfast he'll get ready for the day. The rest of the day includes playing outdoors (soccer, walking, biking, Jack, dogs), finishing chores before Mom gets home (4:30), playing with Jack, a little time on x-box, reading, drawing, and lunch somewhere in between. Kyles chores might include sweeping (gotta love the swiffer), feeding the dogs, setting the table, dusting, taking recyclables out, cleaning out his bathroom sink and emptying the garbage out of the bathrooms...and new this summer, mowing his soccer field.

Kyle has summer plans. He already had a whole week with Grandma Stelzer at the house. That week he worked particularly hard as Mom had a list for Grandma, but he had PLENTY of fun in between! He spent a weekend with his cousins and family at Grandma and Grandpa Supirans which ended in a soccer game with two of his cousins against Mom and two of his aunts. Though it took a lot to get Mom to play, it appears it was a highlight of his weekend. Kyle will go to church camp this summer too. He went last year and I distinctly recall him saying "I could stay here forever". I pray that this camp is a real boost to his spiritual life. Kyle will also join the WHOLE Stelzer family in South Carolina this year for a week long vacation in July. He'll have an entire week to get to know some of his extended family, of whom we sometimes only see for a day or two here and there. He'll also, I'm sure, get to hear of many memories as us siblings talk about summer vacations in SC as kids.

I asked Kyle this summer if he missed Russia, his friends, caregivers, mom and grandmother. He told me mainly his friends. He wondered how they were. I think Kyle has always been a follower, and even though he makes friends easy, it seems to me that none of them are nearly as close to him as his friends were in Russia. It takes time, and he is social and he is funny and sweet, so I'm not at all concerned, but I look forward to the day when he seems to have some best buddies that he truly enjoys the company of. In the meantime, we'll enjoy each other as a family, monitor a few websites for glimpses of old friends and work on his ongoing friendships at school and church.

5 comments:

Annie said...

What a dear post! Do you know, Mary - I think that the need to "be right" is a Russian thing. All of my guys have it, so you can imagine how close we get to fisticuffs on occasion. Actually, I'm joking, because it is not argumentative, as much as it is authoritative...down to making up statistics on the fly. And they ALL do it...except Zhen is not quite so authoritative as the rest, which I put down not to being younger but to coming here at 5.

I can't wait to show my kids Kyle's "chore list" since it is a good deal heftier than theirs - and they complain!

I am so sorry Kyle didn't come to play, though, when he was here. Maybe he and Zhen would have had a good time. Poor Zhen has a dearth of friends he can get together with. Anastasia gets along with other girls, but she is only REALLY good friends with the Russian girls. Beats me.

Your intro cracked me up! I was the same way! I hadn't thought of that in a while. My biggest area of anxiety was prayers. What if I left someone out? Finally, I decided just to be safe I'd add "and all the nice people in the whole wide world" to my list of "please bless..." Then, after some months, on further thought I cut "nice" because the sinful people needed my prayers, too. Sheesh! At least we didn't entirely live out our potential to be REALLY SCREWED UP adults!

nicole said...

what a great blog about kyle! i have thought about doing a blog about each of my kids as well. now will you write one about just you then gregg...just kidding. just love to know what you guys are up to. i have to admit that i think of you whenever matty crys and i have no idea why he is crying. i just remember you crying as a little kid and not knowing why you would cry.

Mary said...

Annie...
Yes, need to be right, Kyle seems to have moved in the same direction..sometimes fearful that he'll be wrong that he'll lie, sometimes so certain that he's right that he'll not listen to anything else. Interesting.
What did the kids think of the chore list? Kyles also a HUGE help with Jack, sometimes playing with him for over an hour.
Ah, the prayer issue. Yes, I'm right there with you. I understand where you're coming from! Funny. I like that we have that in common. It's what we do with what we have, not necessarily what we have, right!?

Mary said...

Nicole.
I'll admit I was a little shocked that you remembered the crying thing about me. I mentioned it to my sister (you know your cousin, Jean;) and she wondered if it was mainly females that might remember that particular trait about me.
I'll argue in that it sure seemed to me that EVERYONE should have had a clue what I was crying about, but now, the older, wiser me says, wow, I had no idea how to share how I felt so I just cried...all the while was really begging for attention..which is interesting, because I GOT PLENTY of attention. I was a needy child, what can I say. Just let little Matty know you love him and you'll always be there for him give him a little hug and move on! Something to note...I don't cry nearly as much now, but I remain sensitive to others needs..which is an A-OK thing.

You should blog about your kids, they are great and they mean a lot to you and you have such a rich family with them. Besides think of the fun they'll have reading it when they're older!

Jasmine said...

Hi, Mary:

Pix are great. The one of Jack dressing himself looks a lot like Steve.

About children - and this comes from someone who doesn't have one - but is still one.

We model our parents to negotiate our way within the family, our circle of friends, and later in life.

Addressing letters - I do the same thing - it's just that a Mom is usually the primary caregiver and I think that comes easier.

Praying: Also felt that I had to include the family and the rest of the universe before possibly mentioning myself. I now think that's nuts but old habits die hard.

Kyle is a born diplomat. I know I've mentioned this before, but because I have no shortage of opinions, Kyle should relearn Russian, study Chinese, and represent the U.S. after studies. He would be superb.

A. Gin