Wednesday, May 6, 2009

to be like jack

i'm thankful for my family. i'm thankful for my health. i'm thankful for a simple life.



jack loves to ride the tractor. he missed his nap yesterday and when we arrived home we found gregg driving the tractor. gregg graciously took jack on his lap and proceeded to complete his work. i missed what i'm sure was a very cute sight. jack curled up in gregg's lap and slept through the ride. evidently, once they arrived to the tractors final resting spot, jack popped up from his slumber in gregg's lap and exclaimed, "more".



jack has a horrible nighttime routine (whose fault is that?), but lately he has one thing down of which i am pleased with. brushing his teeth. which consists of brushing, while both dancing (to the music of the toothbrush) and staring at himself in the mirror. when he is done he climbs back up on his stool, spits (there has yet to be any actual substance to leave his mouth), takes a sip of water that i have readied for him and then looks up at me holding the paper cup and says, "garbage" with a nod of his head, as if asking me if that's okay. he proceeds to step down, throw away the cup and run to his room for a book. i love routine.



as noted on facebook...jack was playing with a small lego man when he pulled the plastic hair off the man's head, held the man up and pointed to his head and said "cold head".



ever since the virgin islands and watching kyle in swim lessons jack takes a bath and spends most of his time, swimming, kicking and splashing. in fact he got me in the bathtub the other day and splashed water all over me, shirt and all. after he poured water over my head, he exclaimed, "mommy wet, mommy swimming". life is simple.



any time we're in a store or restaurant and kyle needs to use the bathroom (or kyle is missing for more than a few minutes), jack concludes, out loud, "kyle, poopy, potty". kyle takes it like a man.


jack was taking a bath yesterday and I heard what sounded like, "no hitting". So I turned to check out what was going on. he was holding the hand of his spiderman action figure and making it hit his own chest, resulting in jack scolding spiderman with the words, "no hitting".


the other day it was such a nice day on the way home from daycare that i rolled jacks window down. every once in a while i would here him exclaim, "basket!". he has been quite familiar with basketball for awhile, he'll call out basket or basketball when anything remotely close to basketball is seen. finally i looked back at jack just in time to watch him pull a bunny cheddar cracker out of his sandwich bag, drop it out the window and exclaim, "basket!".


and now i see why kyle thanked God the other day for having jack to entertain us.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Mary! This is the most splendid post! I have tears of laughter in my eyes. What a darling boy and how great you are writing all this down!

I just wish you wrote more often!

It was cool you read the STA graduation post I wrote - is a lot of it the same as it was when you were there? (Mud wallow, excepted, of course.) So many of those traditions are done so well, that I feel they must have been "like that" forever. And of course, there is Mr. Ball to keep things on track.

Mary said...

Annie, I know I'm so behind. I'm glad you have so much fun with the posts. I tell you, Jack keeps us giggling! I do wish I had more time and more guts to post more stuff!

As far as STA..Loved reading your blog. Some things are similar, some I have to admit may have happened but I can't remember. I DEFINITELY remember the letters! I like to write though, so those were very cool to me..and probably the first time I truly realized what a sweet father I have. I don't remember the scrapbook, but I wonder if we did something similar? Mr. Ball. NO WAY!? I loved him as my gym teacher. LOVED HIM.